- Microsoft Surface (Laptop + Tablet)
- Microsoft Phone [<= Nokia Phones]
- Microsoft Xbox One
- Microsoft Kinect
- Microsoft Band
- Microsoft Book [Upcoming]
Branding & Image
I would like to see Microsoft to be positioned as:
“Microsoft is a company that deeply cares for people.”
- Healthcare (Microsoft Band & Microsoft Health)
- Education (Microsoft Book)
- Privacy Concerns
- With Windows 10 feedback invitation and Android Office preview feedback invitation, Microsoft has made it clear that Microsoft cares for how its consumers feel about its products.
- Seamless integration of touch version (“tile”) and desktop version of Windows.
- Seamless Integration across Devices
- Integration across Cloud Device. [Cloud as an extended Hard-drive that “syncs” across devices]
Clue: For now:
Introduce “Folders” to arrange Apps and Files on “tile” version.
Hierarchical => Folders inside Folders to arrange Files and apps [Consider, Windows’ Filesystem & Drives]
Make corresponding changes (Redesign) to the Windows’ Filesystem so that the Filesystem is more in tune with the UI;
which would lead to changes in File permissions, etc. [No more C Drive, D Drive, etc.]
These are massive changes.
Parallel Release of:
- Windows 10 and
- Windows “X” [which would be a completely new Windows redesigned from the ground-up]
Or, Windows 10, Windows Mobile: “Folders” on Tile. Later: Changes to the Filesystem.
These are patentable stuff! Worth $$$$$ …. (1 followed by lots & lots of zeros!) So, Shhhh ….!
One of the areas I shall work on is to bring the “Brand Appeal” back to Microsoft products (that Microsoft once enjoyed).
“Microsoft is cool!” or maybe “Microsoft is back!”
“Surface is simply sensational!”
Increase of “Brand Appeal” and excitement around Microsoft Products
- Microsoft leapfrogs Exxon to become second largest firm (BBC)
“Energy giant Exxon has ceded its position as the world’s second-largest public company to tech firm Microsoft, after concerns about the falling price of oil drove its shares down.
Exxon’s shares traded at $94.90 midday on Friday, reducing the total value of all its shares, or market capitalisation, to $401.9bn (£256.7bn). Shares in Microsoft – which have been rising after a strong October earnings report – hit $49.81.
That gives it a value of $410.5bn.
Plans and Targets: Microsoft
Microsoft Surface – Tablet Marketshare Target – Surpass iPad
- Introduce Lower cost and lighter (in weight) versions [Surface “Light”; besides Surface Pro]. Surface “Light” has to be stylish. Buyers (it’s not going to be another cheap Laptop) would compare it with iPad and Mac. UI innovations in Windows 10?
- Workplace Computer that you can carry around – Surface Pro
- One Surface – In place of “1 Laptop (For study, work) and 1 Tablet (“Coolness factor”) for consumption of Media, Apps, Games”.
- Keyboard – Urges you to create (Tablet / touch-only devices – only for media, apps, based consumption)
Microsoft Cloud – Cloud Marketshare – #1
- Linux support is wise. More Languages (+ Scala), more Database (NoSQLs) options, more data processing features, more features.
- Nurture Developers, Experts (more MVP like programs), Consultants – catalyze adoption of Cloud.
[I intend to build my Ventures’
- Artificial Intelligence Platform
- Education Platform
- Healthcare Platform
- “Real Object Programming” (ROP) Platform
on top of Microsoft Cloud.]
Enterprise Marketshare – Target: #1 (IBM, SAP, Oracle)
- Redesign Microsoft Dynamics, Sharepoint, SQL Server.
- NoSQL Database.
- Enter CAD / CAM Market (Autodesk). Scientific Computing Market (Wolfram).
[My Ventures would provide
- “Management Science & Engineering” Services,
- Government Services
on top of Windows & Microsoft Enterprise Software,
besides building the Ventures’ own
- Smart Connected Products.
So, Microsoft Enterprise would play a big role.]
Microsoft Phone – SmartPhone Marketshare – #2
- Lots of innovative features. Truly giving the customers the best Phone money can buy. Cortana is cool – make it cooler!
- Target: Lure Developers to develop Apps.
- Better Tools for App Development.
- Increasing Market Share. More excitement.
Visual Studio and .NET.
- Target for C#: Surpass Objective-C in popularity.
- Establish as a cross platform app development platform. Write once in C# / F#, run on Windows, iOS and Android. (Xamarin, etc.)
- Visual Studio, .NET on Linux, Mac (Mono, etc.) (Open Source)
- Scala on .NET
- Python on .NET. [Support -> IronPython]
Microsoft Band & Microsoft Health
- Redesign of Microsoft Band (Band 2.0) and Microsoft Health
Hire a great Product Designer / Industrial Designer.
Message @Bill Gates & @Satya Nadella: Look for someone like Jonathan Ive.
[Approach to Product Design:
- To Designers: This is what the product is going to look like (e.g., come up with designs for “Folders on Windows Tiles”).
- This is the list of features – the product is going to have.
- These are the Technological possibilities, limits, constraints (Examples: Filesystem, Graphics Processing Limits, etc.).
- This list contains everything – Consumers / People look for.
- To Designers: I want you to collaborate with other Designers and come up with lots of alternative designs.
- I will make the final design choices – from all of the alternative designs – taking all the factors into consideration.]
Satya Nadella, being young (and upto date) – is focused on bringing ideas that are currently appreciated and successful in the Industry (even if the ideas are not as widespread and strictly followed at Microsoft):
- Cloud first, Mobile first
- Competing by quickly bringing products to Market and following up with quick iterations.
[Remarks : Following up with quick updates gets more significant in a “Mobile first, Cloud first” world – where you can push updates whenever you want.]
- Data-driven Marketing and Data-driven Software Engineering process improvement
- Focused on “Platforms and Services” [Change from Ballmer’s focus on “Devices and Services”]
[Remark: My preference – Devices, Platforms & Services]
I shall work on:
- Software development language / component, process, tools improvement => improvements in productivity, reliability, maintainability.
Hanged onto – Windows and Office (even by sacrificing some of the areas where Microsoft could have dominated – Smartphone, Touchscreens)
Started and established:
- Business Division; Cloud; Skype; Server; SQL Server;
- X-Box and Gaming
- .NET & Visual Studio