- No support for Sunni extremists. 
- Encourage Iran to stop support for Shiite extremists.
- Peace talks / Negotiations – An interim neutral “Caretaker Government” holding elections. 
- Threat of international court – Crime against humanity.
- Relies on America for consolidating its dominance in the Middle East.
- Message to the Saudis – It’s not necessary to crush your opponent for regional dominance. Better – bolster your own economy.
- Why can’t the West form close ties with Iran (with Nuclear deals)?
- Above all, mass killings, etc. of Muslim brotherhood supporters has to be stopped immediately.
Encourage both Iran and Saudi Arabia to bolster their economies – more economic interdependence, more commerce with America with benefit to both.
- Our increasing Energy independence.
- Circumstances in Russia-Ukraine.
Notes on Foreign policy
- what is beneficial to you
- what is beneficial to the country you are considering (view from their perspective)
If it’s non-zero sum, you can make them work with you so that it’s beneficial to both.
Both sides involved in a relationship feel comfortable when each has interests for which it knows that the other depends on it.
US – Saudi relationship (since 1945)
- Security assurance from America and
- Oil from Saudi Arabia.