An Interim Neutral Government holding Elections Can Lead to Peaceful Resolution of Conflict In Syria
There are talks going on at the moment organized by UN for transition of power to a transitional government.
The Syrian regime has no intentions for handing over power. We have observed support for Bashar Al-Assad’s government from both Iran and Russia.
More than 110,000 people have lost their lives. What is the point of adding more to that?
Syrian land has become a fertile ground for growth of opposing groups of militants and extremists.
Our carefree attitude might make us pay price in the longer term.
Democracy has to be restored. People should be given the right to choose their own leaders and representatives and it’s the responsibility of leaders to win people’s hearts.
United States can propose for a caretaker government to hold a free and fair election and hand over power to the winning political party.
In Bangladesh, we have experience of Interim Neutral Caretaker Government successfully holding free and fair elections in the years 1996, 2001 and 2008. An advisory council led by the last retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Court rules the country for three months and holds elections before an elected government takes over power in Bangladesh.
The Interim Neutral Caretaker Government could be such that
- The chief of the caretaker government is acceptable to all parties involved.
- Military and arms support from outside countries are stopped immediately.
- The caretaker government shows zero tolerance to extremists and militias, no matter what ideology they represent.
- The situation in Syria returns at least close to normal. Initiatives are taken to bring back all the refugees back to Syria. The refugee situation is causing disastrous effects in the Middle East. Humanitarian efforts are undertaken.
- A definite time period is determined during which the Caretaker Government rules. Before the time period ends, a free, fair, credible and internationally acceptable election is held.
Iran and Russia can make sure the Syrian regime accepts the proposal.
Tolerance for the sake of humanity is expected from Leaders.
Influence & Impact: [As of 04.09.15]
The proposed Model was adopted by Hamas and Fatah to form an Interim Government for West Bank and Gaza Region in 2014 and led to a historic union between Hamas and Fatah.